Monday, December 5, 2016

I AM SANDRA BLAND: Facts about Sandra Bland

The Chosen Ones
"I AM SANDRA BLAND"

As I boarded the train someone said that I favor the late Sandra Bland. My response was a very gracious "Thank You" but deep down inside I was saddened. On July 23, 2015 Sandra Bland was found hanged in a jail cell in Waller County, Texas. The events leading up to her death is what makes her death tragic. Sandra Bland was 28 years old when her life was viciously altered and taken from her. Before the days leading to her death she was arrested under false accusation and taken into custody without any reason, other than the fact that she was exercising her rights as a human being living in the United States. Do I believe that if she had not been arrested, that she would still be alive today, most certainly. Due to the arresting state trooper "Officer" Brian Encinia, Sandra Bland life was changed for ever and was ultimately stolen from her.

Here are some interesting facts that you may not have known about the late Sandra Bland. She attended Willowbrook High School in Villa Park, Illinois, then Prairie View A&M University, where she was a member of the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority. She graduated in 2009 with a degree in agriculture. At Prairie View, she was recruited as a summer counselor for three years, played in a band, and volunteered for a senior citizens advocacy group. Sandra Bland was a civil rights activist on the rise trying to make a positive difference within her community and for her people. Now as I sit and think, in my mind I could only hope that our spirits favor more than looks, she was a phenomenal person and woman and her spirit forever lives on though the hearts and minds of many!

No comments:

Post a Comment